Applying for registration
To become an RTO, a provider must apply for registration and undergo a rigorous assessment process to ensure compliance with all components of the VET Quality Framework, including the:
- Standards for Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) 2015
- Financial Viability Risk Assessment Requirements 2011
- Data Provision Requirements 2012
- Australian Qualifications Framework
Additional requirements apply providers seeking registration on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) to offer courses to overseas students.
Applications are submitted to the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) for registration in the following jurisdictions:
- Australian Capital Territory
- New South Wales
- Northern Territory
For providers registering to operate in Victoria only, application is made to the Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority (VRQA).
For providers registering to operate in Western Australia only, application is made to the Training Accreditation Council of Western Australia (TAC).
ASQA is also the regulatory body for RTOs in Victoria and Western Australia, that:
- offer courses to overseas students
- offer courses (including online) in any of the above states or territories.
For specific registration requirements refer to each regulatory authority’s website:
ASQA - asqa.gov.au
VRQA - vrqa.vic.gov.au
TAC - tac.wa.gov.au